Disaster program a possibility for some farmers

-A A +A
By Rick Greenwell

Livestock Losses:
We had a really bad winter on livestock and lost a lot of cattle.  The FSA office is taking applications for these weather-related losses.  

People are beginning to hear about this opportunity, and I thought it would be good to have a little bit about the programs in this column.

Livestock disaster program enrollment opened on April 15, 2014.

These disaster programs are authorized by the 2014 Farm Bill as permanent programs and provide retroactive authority to cover losses that occurred on or after Oct. 1, 2011.

To expedite applications, all producers who experienced losses are encouraged to bring records documenting those losses to their local FSA Office.

Producers should record all pertinent information of natural disaster consequences, including:

• Documentation of the number and kind of livestock that have died, supplemented if possible by photographs or video records of ownership and losses

• Dates of death supported by birth recordings or purchase receipts

• Costs of transporting livestock to safer grounds or to move animals to new pastures

• Feed purchases if supplies or grazing pastures are destroyed

• Crop records, including seed and fertilizer purchases, planting and production records
Eligible producers can sign-up for the following livestock disaster assistance programs:

Livestock Forage Disaster Program (LFP):
LFP provides compensation to eligible livestock producers that have suffered grazing losses due to drought on privately owned or cash leased land or fire on federally managed land.

Eligible producers must physically be located in a county affected by a qualifying drought during the normal grazing period for the county.

Producers who suffered eligible grazing losses should submit a completed CCC-853 and supporting documentation by January 30, 2015.

Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP):
LIP provides compensation to eligible livestock producers that have suffered livestock death losses in excess of normal mortality due to adverse weather and attacks by animals reintroduced into the wild by the federal government or protected by federal law.

Producers who suffered livestock death losses should submit a notice of loss and an application for payment to their local FSA office by January 30, 2015.

Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees and Farm-Raised Fish Program (ELAP):

ELAP provides emergency assistance to eligible producers of livestock, honeybees and farm-raised fish that have losses due to disease, adverse weather, or other conditions, such as blizzards and wildfires.

ELAP assistance is provided for losses not covered by LFP and LIP.

Producers who suffered eligible livestock, honeybee or farm-raised fish losses during 2012 and 2013 program years must submit a notice of loss and application for payment to their local FSA office by August 1, 2014.

For 2014 program year losses, the notice of loss and an application for payment must be submitted by November 1, 2014.

For more information, producers can review the LFP, LIP and ELAP Fact Sheets on the Farm Bill webpage.

Producers are encouraged to make an appointment with their local FSA office to apply for these programs.  

(Source:  Kentucky News- FSA State News)