From Left Field

-A A +A
By The Staff

Please pardon the interruption

Hey, what does a fella have to do to get a little time off? Apparently, you have to have a stroke!

In case you haven’t noticed, the past couple of issues of The Springfield Sun have had something missing - me! It’s not that I planned it, but I’ve been out for two weeks recovering from what doctors say was a mild stroke.

It all started Nov. 1 when I noticed I was having trouble talking. I know, make up your own wise cracks about me not talking. After a few frantic phone calls and help from emergency responders, I ended up in University Hospital in Louisville.

Doctors said I had a small blockage that affected my speech. I was given what they call a tPA (intravenous tissue plasminogen activator). It’s basically a powerful blood thinner used to treat clots. Almost immediately, I started regaining my speech, just a few words at first, then I tried to form sentences.

After a battery of tests which showed everything to be OK, I was given the green light to get some rest and work on speech therapy.

It was a scary feeling, not being able to say the names of people you see every day. The thoughts were there, there was just no way the words would come out.

But now I’m back to my old self, and I’m a little more cautious about taking care of myself.

I would like to thank everyone who took the time to send a card, e-mail or a phone message my way. It’s really lifted my spirits and I appreciate all of the prayers and positive thoughts.

I would like to thank a few people in particular who basically saved my life.

First is Jeff Moreland, editor/general manager of The Sun. He was the one who got my phone call and alerted 911 to my situation. He was on the scene immediately and he communicated for me when I couldn’t.

Paul O’Bryan of the Springfield Police Department, for keeping me calm. I’m sorry that my dog wasn’t as cooperative, though.

Thanks also go to Chris Hood and Jay Faulx with the Washington County EMS, the crew of the LifeNet helicopter that took me to Louisville and the emergency staff at Spring View Hospital in Lebanon.

The staff at University Hospital was incredible. Everyone treated me great and I never wanted for anything.

Last, but not least, thanks to the staff of The Springfield Sun. I apologize for any burden I put them through during my time off. Now I have to make up for lost time and get right back into work.

Once again, I thank you all for showing me support. I feel very blessed to have so many people who care for me.