- Special Sections
- Public Notices
An early-morning lightning strike is believed to be the cause of a hay bale fire at 291 Wesley - Miller Lane in Mackville on Friday.
Stacy Simms said her husband, Robert, went out early in the morning before daylight to find the smoke they could smell from their cabin.
A severe lightning storm woke the couple up before daylight.
Simms couldn't find the source of the smoke, but a few hours later it would reveal itself.
Stacy said Robert looked out the window around 8 a.m. and spotted the hay bales on fire.
The smoke was so thick, Stacy said, that you couldn't see anything.
Robert moved the hay bales away from others that were stored but hadn't been affected by the fire. About five or six bales were lost due to the fire.
The bales were from last year's hay, she said, and several bales had been sold. They were stored outside with several rolls from this year's cutting.
Mackville and Willisburg fire departments responded to the call and doused the bales with water. Robert later removed the smoldering hay bales with his tractor and dropped them in a nearby pond.
Stacy said a downpour of rain helped reduce the fire before firefighters arrived.
No one was injured in the fire.