St. Catharine win streak goes to three in mens’ soccer

-A A +A
By SCC Sports Information


With victories last week over Asbury University and Berea University, the St. Catharine College mens’ soccer team ran its winning streak to three games. That gives Tim Wolz’s team an overall slate of 4-3 as they prepare for a trip to Nashville tomorrow to take on Trevecca Nazarene before returning home on Saturday to play Mid-South Conference rival Shawnee State.

The outcome was a 4-3 win Tuesday over the visiting Asbury Eagles. And Wolz labeled it as “probably the biggest win” in his three years at the helm of the Patriots’ program.

“They have a very good team. They are always well coached and well organized. But we battled them to the end,” said Wolz, whose team evened its record at 3-3.

Battled them to the very end, that is. An Eagles’ shot with 20 seconds left hit the crossbar and when Josh Braun corralled the rebound his shot was saved with a diving stop by St. Catharine goalkeeper C.J. Powell with 17 seconds remaining.

The final seconds were indicative of the entire 90 minutes as the two evenly-matched teams traded goals. Sam Kpoh put the Patriots ahead 1-0 in the ninth minute but just two minutes later the Eagles, who fell to 3-2, tied the score. An Eagles’ defender deflected a Marvin Wesselburg pass into the goal in the 32nd minute to put St. Catharine ahead 2-1 at halftime.

It took Asbury, a team that received votes for the top 25 in the nation, just two minutes into the second half to tie the game 2-2. But Ben Nally’s goal off a corner kick deflection regained the lead for the Patriots in the 54th minute. That lead stood for seven minutes when the Eagles again pulled even.

The game winner came with 10 minutes left when Sawyer Abshire threaded a pass to Ashley Woods who drilled it past the Eagles’ goalkeeper from 15 yards out.

Each goalkeeper had two saves for the game. Asbury had 12 total shots for the game and St. Catharine had 10.

Saturday against Berea, the outcome wasn’t much in doubt as the Patriots controlled play throughout in a 7-1 win. Sam Kpoh opened the St. Catharine scoring with a goal in the third minute and Ashley Woods scored twice in the next 13 minutes. Isaac Blanford, with assists from Chris Wilk and Raymond Mkandama, added a goal to give the Patriots a 4-0 lead at halftime.

Marvin Wesselburg made the score 5-0 just 12 minutes into the second half when he scored off a Woods’ assist. Then, following the lone Berea goal, Kevin Owens and Tyler McKenty scored off assists from Sawyer Abshire and Rex Catron respectively.

The Mountaineers (2-5) had seven shots on goal for the game. C.J. Powell and Justin Mills had one save each while Brandon Campbell allowed the Berea goal and collected four saves.
Saturday’s game against Shawnee State starts at 4 p.m. as the second half of a womens’/mens’ doubleheader.